Friday, October 19, 2007

Scientific.

dave94a

1994, taken from behind my kit during a Scientific recording session. There's Dave warming up before taping a song.

We really put our all into the recording of Scientific, our sophomore release...hence the title. It was literally a science, trying to piece together all the elements and compounds to create what we wanted. And it wasn't always an easy task. There was a song or two that we didn't hit on the first take, mostly due to me clamming up for some reason or another. It was frustrating, and Dave finally looked over and said "don't think too hard...just feel it." So I did, and everything went fine.

Dave embodied the same essence of many Jamaican heavyweights that I've met in our career—a completely laid-back attitude whose approach to the music was straight from the heart...not from the charts. I played with Derrick Morgan some time ago, and while practicing one particular song, we asked him how many times we had to repeat a certain riff before ending the song. He replied, "Why you countin? Reggae's not 'bout numbers man...s'about feelin. Just follow me man, you won't get lost." He said that with the biggest smile I'd ever seen. It totally reminded me of Dave.

4 comments:

Gabe said...

Hey Greg,

We are preparing for another tribute podcast for Dave Fuentes.

In the next few weeks we will be talking to some of Dave's friends and fans about him and how he he affected their life as a friend and musician.



Would you like to take part in this special episode?

We will set up a day and time to call you and talk. We will record some of your thoughts and play them on this special episode along with some of your favorite Hepcat tunes.



Hope to hear from you

Gabe P
http://pressuredrop.podomatic.com

bisikletaproductions said...

Hi Greg,

I am proud to be a filipino I was amazed to see a true brown man playing with one of the best band that ever lived your the man!

I was wondering if i can do some story about your comic book - "I WAS A FILIPINO SKINHEAD" at my blogsite - www.bisikletaproductions.blogspot.com so that your kababayans here in the Philippines would know about at and be proud of themselves...MUCH RESPECT!

leftylimbo said...

Hey folks:

Greg ("The Adjuster") here. Some of you may be revisiting this blog after the recent passing of Aaron Owens, another member of the Hepcat family. This blog was done so long ago that I've forgotten how to login, but rest assured you can still get in touch with me here. Thanks.

leftylimbo said...

Howdy folks:

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the release of our Scientific album. I remembered that I had posted some pictures from that era on this blog so I came back here to retrieve them. I'm glad the blog is still up, yet it seems to be stuck in some kinda limbo...like, I can't login to edit posts or maintain it in any way. It seems that Blogger had been acquired by Google awhile back, so I dunno if maybe something got mixed up during the transition. Well at least it's still here, preserving the memory of Dave for as long as it takes.

Luckily I can still comment on these posts, so feel free to have conversations here if you want. Personally it feels kinda good to revert back to the "antique" way of socializing here on the blog. See ya.